With the Snack Pack Program, no District 5 child has to go hungry.
This program, coordinated by Stuart Stout of the St. Andrews Optimist Club, provides nutritional food for students who do not have enough to eat through the weekend. A growing need for the basics of a healthy meal has been identified in the district. The hope in supplying nutritional food is not only to fill a hungry belly, but also to give children the focus to be ready to learn come Monday morning without the worry of hunger.
A Community Collaboration
The Snack Pack program is a collaborative effort between churches, civic organizations and the Foundation. The Foundation provides funding for weekend snack packs to all identified students.
Hundreds of Students Are Provided Food
Students are identified by school social workers and guidance counselors. During the 2014-2015 school year, we are serving 632 students, representing about 4% of our student population.
- Rotary Club of Lake Murray-Irmo
- McGregor Presbyterian Church/Optimist Club of St Andrews
- Union Methodist Church
- River Springs Church
- Riverland Hills Baptist Church
- Seven Oaks Presbyterian Church
- St Marys Episcopal Church
- St Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church
- Chapin Rotary Club
- Lake Murray Presbyterian Church
- St Simon St Jude Episcopal Church
- Chapin United Methodist UMW Church
- First Baptist Irmo